Programs-in-a-box: Educational Materials
1. To introduce to your membership the vast array of educational sources. Books, magazines, videos, websites, etc.
2. To show ways of using these materials to research information of Shelties
Points to cover:
1. The importance of availing yourself of educational opportunities
a. Local club meeting and programs
b. Local seminars on the breed or general dog knowledge
c. Symposium at the National Specialty
d. Educational tapes in the ASSA lending library
e. Subscriptions to National breed magazines
f. Thru your mentor – going back to old magazines to research the dogs in your Sheltie’s pedigree.
g. Books and pamphlets on the breed: i.e.
1. The Complete Shetland Sheepdog by Catherine Coleman Moore
2. The Shetland Sheepdog by Maxwell Riddle
3. The Shetland Sheepdog in America by Charlotte C McGowan
4. Sheltie Talk by B Rieseberg and B McKinney
5. The Illustrated Guide by Jean Simmonds
6. The Book of The Shetland Sheepdog by Anna K Nicholas
7. The Sheltie Color Guide by Peggy and Jan Haderlie
8. The Pictorial by ASSA
9. The Quick Guide by ASSA
10. The ASSA Handbooks by ASSA 1968 - present
1. The Sheltie Pacesetter: 9428 Blue Mound Dr. Fort Wayne, In46804
2. The Sheltie International: P.O. Box 6369 San Luis Obispo, CA 93412
3. The Southern Sheltie: 511 2nd St, Spencer NC 28159
Have an evening gathering where your club hosts a potluck dinner and long standing members bring copies of the above-mentioned materials as far back as possible. Some of the older magazines like Collie Sheltie Review, The Sheltie Special, The Sheltie Magazine, etc
It is important to have many older members there to help discuss the virtues of the older dogs, especially if they actually saw these dogs.
If your club doesn’t have a library begin one with purchases of books and magazine as funds allow and materials become available. Older members may consider donating or willing materials to the local club or the ASSA so relative don’t destroy valuable material on Sheltie history.
To find materials call Dogwise at 1 800-776-2667 or check their website.
Dog Steps video - #DAN108 by Rachael Page Elliot (65 minutes) $34.95